Sunday, March 17, 2013

SAHM I Am.

So, here I am. 2 weeks as a SAHM. It's basically great. While I am really, really, really, really happy to be home with Quinn, I have to say that I am forever grateful for getting to experience what it's like to be a mom who works outside the home. And let me just tell you.

It's tough.

Either way. Go to work. Stay home. It's all hard. I get so sick of women battling each other for the choices that they're making for their families and children. And let's just get one thing out of the way... I am totally guilty of this. Before I had Q, I was an expert on all things children.

"Oh, I'll never let my child do that..."
"I can't believe she let's her kid _______..."
"Did you see how that mom _______..."

That's right. Guilty. And here's the deal. I want to punch myself in the face for ever thinking or saying anything like that. The choices that you have to make as a mother, a wife, they are customized to every family. And like every child, every family is different and has different needs. 

On the other hand, I have to confess that a lot of the decisions that we make on raising Q, I have kept to myself for fear of being judged and/or coming across as if I am judging others. Ya know what I mean? Like, if I choose to cloth diaper my child, I don't want anyone hearing me say, "this is the RIGHT way to do things, so if you're not doing what I'm doing then you're a dummy."

Am I the only one who thinks this way???

The Lord has humbled me on more than a few occasions, and I can honestly say, from the bottom of my heart that I believe we (moms) have to go with our gut. We have to decide what is best for our families and our children. And it's not always going to be the same as the next girl. AND THAT'S OK!!! Isn't that great news?!? 

So, this exercise is for me. A "confession," if you will. A few of the choices that I have made in taking care of Q that I have been embarrassed about.... maybe "embarrassed" is the wrong word... but whatever, I think you know what I mean. 
Here goes. 

No excuses. 

No explanations. 

(deep breath):

We use cloth diapers
We have been teaching Quinn to use the potty since she was 4 months old
We don't let her cry it out
She sleeps in our bed... not all the time, but a lot.
I let her nurse to sleep

When I see these things typed out, they don't seem like that big of a deal. But they are!!! Ask Clay. I can't tell you why I care what people think. It's definitely my least favorite thing about me. Well... that and my sweet tooth. Anyway, I know there's like a million more, but that's all the vulnerability I can stand for one day. 

Enough of that. How about a picture??? Ok. If I must.


Love,
jess

No comments: