Saturday, May 07, 2011

The Next Thing

Life is always changing. Sometimes it feels like I'm always waiting for the NEXT thing. And even when that "next thing" happens, it isn't too long before I am waiting once again... for something else. (side note: this is a great reminder for me that we are made to desire our creator and He is the only thing that satisfies). So - we are waiting on a child. And I must say, that I think Tom Petty had it 1000% right when he said, "waiting is the hardest part." What do we do in the meantime? How do I not make this "next thing" ----- everything. I certainly don't want to miss out on the things that are happening in my life right now. Isn't it interesting that the enemy can take even something as sweet and tender as wanting a child and turn it into an obsession, pulling you away from the life that God has so graciously given you at this very moment??

While I do not doubt that there are things that I might experience as a parent that are beyond joyous, the life that Clay and I have together right now is so --- priceless.

Going grocery shopping late at night
Sleeping in
Picking up and leaving town at the drop of a hat
Going out with friends as long as we want
Taking a shower whenever I want
Not waking up in the middle of the night
Blessing others with gifts and time
Random shopping trips to Marshalls
Going out to eat -- a lot
Late night dance parties (we recently learned how to Duggy thanks to YouTube)

This time that we have together is a chance of a lifetime. Once a babe comes along we become 3 instead of 2. And then it's forever.

I would love to say that I didn't cry my eyes out when we hit the one year mark and still no baby. But then I'd be a liar. I believe that I was created with the desire to create life. God has given us such an amazing gift that He would even allow us to do such a thing. I'm grateful that He is patient with me as I give Him a piece of my mind when I feel like I can't wait any longer. I'm grateful for that still soft voice that says, "I know you want that, but look at what I have for you right now. Don't miss this Jessica. Don't miss this."

So, no matter what "next thing" you are waiting for, I encourage you to take a look at what the Lord has given you for this moment. What manna has He given you for today? Don't forget to enjoy the life that He has given you RIGHT NOW.

There's a great (and cheesy) song I love called "You're Gonna Miss This"by Trace Atkins. And all you non-country music lovers just stop with the eye roll and listen to the song.

Happy Mother's Day to all you momma's out there. I hope to join you someday as your children celebrate who you are and what you do.

Blessings,
jess

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you Jess!! I know the Lord will bless you and Clay. You will be great parents. I envied you guys because you have been able to spend so much time enjoying each other and once you have children that's harder but having babies is precious and I know you will have the chance because you have many people praying for you. I love you and miss you greatly. Please keep in touch. Hopefully we can talk soon. Keep your head up. It'll work out in Gods timing.
Love
Christa

Aimee said...

Hang in there girl! Waiting is so hard, we waited two years for Zane (which means God's gracious gift) Those two years were the hardest of my life, but God used it for His glory! I would not change it for anything, it made me the mom I am today and I feel blessed beyond measure now (and I did then). I love your outlook, it's so good to stay positive. We are praying for you, I can't wait to see what God has in store for you two!!!